Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Fell

TOPIC: Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 31 Jul 2017 23:45 #19111

• DominicShields
  • Never put a sock in a toaster
  • Thank you received: 297
Given the uncertainty caused by the tree-felling activities it has taken a while to establish that we have a viable and also very interesting alternative thanks to Jeff Wherlock of Machen Miggly Moos.
Ron and I walked the course on Saturday and I have incorporated Ron's suggested change to Jeff's original route which saves on quite a bit of work on an area that is quite rutted and also keeps the distance closer to our original course. Here is the Garmin of the route connect.garmin.com/modern/course/15973933
Also connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1887287448
Google Earth file

File Attachment:

File Name: MachenMoun...oute.kmz
File Size:6 KB

A description is as follows.
Follow the usual route of the last 6 years until you are running towards the transmitter on the outward journey then where previously you have turned right where Glyn has often marshalled to head off for the extra loop, instead aim directly for the trig point with the transmitter on your right.
At the trig point turn right and go down the gravel road with the transmitter on your right, follow the gravel road around the left hand bend and keep going, at the point the road turns right, you come off bearing left towards the large spoil heap, head for a path that slopes up along the side (not directly up the end), at the top of the spoil heap is a wide, flat ridge top, proceed along nearly to the end, keeping left wherever there is a choice, turn off left before the final few hillocks then down a slope to the left (zooming in on the routes I have uploaded above will make this clearer).
Heading in the direction of the coast you will pick up a track, follow it left for about 75 yards, then turn sharply right onto a much more well-defined grassy track, go down here through a gate followed by another gate that opens on to a wide, heavily-used gravel road. Turn left and run down here for half a mile, on the right you will see a large pile of logs stacked at the right hand side of the road, where the first stack of logs ends (photo), turn sharp right into a very nice half mile downhill section that a local man has done extensive work on recently. it ends when you encounter a shallow stream, cross this, turn right onto another path and in 100 yards you will enter the small Cwm Fedw parking area via the gate we do not normally use, turn right and retrace your route to the start.

Race Information page www.sandomenico.uk/index.php/menu-styles/machen-mountain-race
Last Edit: 01 Aug 2017 09:28 by DominicShields.

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 24 Aug 2017 11:00 #19145

• DominicShields
For the marshals, I attach the risk assessment with your marshalling positions and a map to make things clearer, it would be good if on the weekend someone who is going to be on the new parts of the route pops up there with me as I do course marking which will help with getting everyone into position on the day. Needless to say, if people don't know where they need to be on the mountain then we need time (or someone who knows the route) so arriving around 12:00 would be helpful if we don't have this luxury.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2017_Mache...ess.xlsx
File Size:152 KB

Last Edit: 25 Aug 2017 12:46 by DominicShields.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HannahW

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 24 Aug 2017 19:31 #19146

• AndyW
  • Thank you received: 5
There's probably always one person who causes problems and asks for a change in marshalling point. This time that person is me - I twisted my ankle badly last Thursday at the handicap race and I've still got a lot of discomfort when walking. Looking at the map it would appear I have a long trek to my checkpoint - any chance I could be moved somewhere nearer the start/finish?

Thanks.

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 24 Aug 2017 20:07 #19147

• DominicShields
OK I have put Dan Davies where you were Andy, will work out the full registration and start/finish line duties and fit you in

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 25 Aug 2017 12:44 #19148

• DominicShields
I have updated the map of the course with marshal positions to add Glyn and to add mile markers which hopefully will clarify that the route is anticlockwise as it always has been.

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 26 Aug 2017 11:08 #19149

• ClaireL
Hi, I may have missed it, but where do we have to report on Monday and what's the postcode?, Also do we all have to be there at 12??

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 26 Aug 2017 11:13 #19150

• DominicShields
Hi Claire, here are the details for the race HQ goo.gl/maps/YpwCgVqsn542 it is also on the race page.
For where you are marshalling there is no need to be there any earlier than 14:00, for those on the mountain unless they already know where they will need to be, ideally I would like to see them at 12:00 or so
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClaireL

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 26 Aug 2017 16:18 #19151

• NickH
I'm guessing 1:30 will be early enough for me to arrive as I'm fairly close to the finish? Should allow plenty of time for me to recce my position? I can arrive earlier if necessary though.

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 26 Aug 2017 19:11 #19152

• DominicShields
You want to be about 25 metres uphill from the stream crossing so as to warn runners that it is about to get slippery. As long as you can find it on your own then you can turn up later but it does concern me a bit that I can't be everywhere to show people where they need to be individually as there won't be time.

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 26 Aug 2017 19:32 #19153

• NickH
OK no problem I'll come a bit earlier.

Machen Mountain Race (AS) 4.7 Miles/1200 Feet - Monday 28th August 2017 15:00 28 Aug 2017 18:55 #19158

• DominicShields
Thanks to everyone who marshalled/volunteered for making the race go without a hitch. Special thanks to Ron and Jim for their work in course clearance and marking, also Ian Bell for learning the course yesterday which saved a lot of time today. Thanks must also go to Jeff Wherlock of Machen Miggly Moos for his excellent alternative route suggestion.
Results attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: Machen_Res...2017.xls
File Size:39 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Machen_Res...2017.pdf
File Size:369 KB
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

By: Stectech

Web Design Company

Website/Forum login

Search this website

Go to top

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information