Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Triathlon / Duathlon / Cycling

TOPIC: Swimming advice

Swimming advice 07 Apr 2015 16:23 #14661

• lizm
My desire to complete a triathlon has moved a step closer due to having a new road bike that doesn't seem to make me walk like John Wayne the day after.

The last piece in the puzzle is my swimming, I can swim for hours doing breaststroke but my front crawl is laughable.
Before I go searching for public swimming lessons I was wondering if there was any chance of any club run lessons from our multi sport experts? I would imagine that there would be others interested if some kind of swim training/coaching could be offered as a one-off and then go from there?

Swimming advice 13 Oct 2015 12:46 #16030

• lizm
  • Thank you received: 2
So I went down the public swimming lessons route in the end and found a really good course offered at Maindy Pool.
They run an Adult Improvers course for 5 weeks priced at £37, 45 minute lessons every Wednesday. Myself and Hannah W attended along with 7 other people of varied swimming ability including a guy who was about to compete in the Gower Triathlon. The structure is the first 20 minutes of general drills to help with technique and then the remaining 25 minutes one-on-one advice in whatever stroke/s you need help with. Most of us wanted to concentrate on front crawl as that was most people's weakest stroke.
I must say that it was very good and I gained exactly what I was looking for from the course. I'm a confident swimmer but just needed someone to look at what I am doing and what I should be doing. I now know what areas to work on to improve my technique and stamina and can now practice this in my own time.
I would highly recommend this course for anyone looking to improve their swimming, the instructor is very knowledgeable and it caters for all abilities.
It is a shame that as a multi-sport club we do not currently have any similar training available for members as I'm sure it would encourage more multi-sport members to join and more running members to take the step towards multi-sport events. Hopefully it is something we can develop for the future.

P.S I've entered the new Swansea Sprint Triathlon next year so fingers crossed for successful training, I'll let you know how it goes!! :ohmy:

Swimming advice 13 Oct 2015 18:46 #16032

• HannahW
  • Thank you received: 6
I agree with Liz, I found the course really useful. Before I went I could swim breath stroke for ages but crawl I could barely complete a length without lung collapse! My technique still has some way to go but I can now swim lengths of crawl. Defiantly recommend it.

Possibly entering Swansea tri too.

Swimming advice 17 Oct 2015 19:00 #16059

• JohnSEA
  • Thank you received: 8
Well done girls!

Would recommend looking at TI (Total Immersion) books on Amazon next. They helped me improve efficiency.

Lots of good tips on Tri related swimming if you get an Open Water Edition too.

Happy to give you some advice on any problem areas next time I see either of you at club.

Swimming advice 17 Oct 2015 21:42 #16064

• HannahW
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks John. We actually have a TI book! Am slowly reading it at the moment.
Will probably need advice on all areas as have not got a clue!

Swimming advice 18 Oct 2015 18:42 #16069

• JohnSEA
  • Thank you received: 8
No worries!

I'm not in the same league as Rich and Gareth but happy to share the knowledge and experience I do have :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: lizm, HannahW
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

By: Stectech

Web Design Company

Website/Forum login

Search this website

Go to top

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information